Families compensated for lives lost in north China mine mishap
Families of the 33 miners killed in the plaster mine cave-in in north
China's Hebei Province on Nov. 6 have been compensated 170,000 yuan (US$21,400)
for each victim, the local source said.
Compensation for each miner killed
while working underground in the pit stood at 173,600 yuan, a spokesman with the
emergency rescue headquarters in Xingtai said Friday.
The compensation for
other people killed in the accident, mostly family members and businessmen who
were trapped by collapsing residential buildings nearby, varied in light of
different situations, he said, without giving any details.
"All the families
of the dead have received the compensation," he added.
Moreover, the local
government is also preparing to compensate some local villagers, whose houses
were destroyed in the accident, he added.
The cave-in took place at 7:40 p.m.
on Nov. 6 in three plaster mines in the county of Xingtai, trapping at least 71
On Thursday, rescuers miraculously saved on miner who had been
trapped for 11 days. Yuan Shenglin, the lucky survivor, is being treated at a
Investigation into the cause of the accident is underway, and
the search for the missing and work dealing with the aftermath is still gong