Track beyond imagination, says F1 chief
4/6/2004 13:16
Shanghai Daily news
Visiting technical officials from Formula One's world governing body gave the
thumbs-up to Shanghai International Circuit after a final examination
yesterday. "What we saw today at the site is beyond our imagination," said
Charlie Whiting, the governing body's safety and security chief. "I think SIC
has met all the F1 standards and will receive a license for staging F1 races
next week." Construction of the circuit, started in October 2002 in the
suburban Jiading District, was completed last week and cost a total of 2.6
billion yuan (US$325 million). It will host the inaugural F1 Chinese Grand
Prix on September 24-26 but the first test for the organizers will come this
weekend. The two-day China Circuit Championship gets into action tomorrow at
the venue while the official circuit inauguration ceremony will be held on
Sunday afternoon, featuring a possible Ferrari F1 car test run. The big
weekend had a bit of a setback yesterday with the late cancellation of Ferrari
F1 boss Luca Cordero Di Montezemolo's long-proposed trip to Shanghai. Di
montezemolo was said to be preoccupied by internal affairs at Fiat Group, the
parent of Ferrari. Sic announced last night that Ferrari F1 team principal
Jean Todt will attend the inauguration ceremony on Sunday, leading a fleet of
Ferrari racing chassis and road cars highlighted by a F2003GA, Ferrari's 2003 F1
chassis. It was still not clear last night whether six-time world champion
Michael Schumacher will be present at the ceremony. Ferrari and SIC made a
joint statement four weeks ago in Shanghai, saying the Italian F1 juggernaut
will bring either Schumacher or its Brazilian driver Rubens Barrichello to lap
the Shanghai circuit at the ceremony. Ferrari's presence will not be confined
to the circuit. Up to 60 Ferrari vintage models will tour the downtown area
tomorrow morning as part of the Italian car maker's broad promotion scheme in
the city. The parade will start at Hongqiao State Guest House at 10am. It
will travel along the Bund to Nanjing Road Pedestrian Mall and finish at
Tomorrow Square in Nanjing Road W. Xinhua reported yesterday that an
unidentified source in the State General Administration of Sport claimed
cigarette advertising will be banned at the circuit during the Grand Prix.
|