Peking University temporarily bans tourists for Olympic security
9/7/2008 17:49
Tour groups and independent travelers will be banned for almost two months
from Beijing's prestigious and scenic Peking University, venue of the Olympic
and Paralympic table tennis events. The ban, from July 20 to Sept. 18, was
imposed because of security concerns, said Xing Jinsong, deputy head of the
university's Campus Security Department. Teachers, students and staff will
have to show identity cards or passes issued by the university at all entrances
to the campus, Xing said. The Olympic table tennis events will be held from
Aug. 13 to 23 at the Peking University Gymnasium and the Paralympics events from
Sept. 7 to 16. Covering 26,900 square meters, the gymnasium has room for eight
competition tennis tables and can seat 7,557. During the summer vacation
every year, thousands of tourists, including many parents from around the
country, who give motivation to their children to succeed academically, visit
Peking University each day. Last year, the university took measures to cope
with the huge numbers of sightseers, including requiring tour companies to book
groups three days in advance, limiting the travel routes and organizing more
than 100 volunteer guides.
Xinhua
|