Advanced Search
Business | Metro | Nation | World | Sports | Features | Specials | Delta Stories
 
 
Japan discusses DPRK's reported nuclear test with US, S. Korea
9/10/2006 17:04

Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso said today that he had discussed with his South Korean and US counterparts the reported nuclear test by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) earlier in the day, Kyodo News reported.
Aso said the three countries agreed that if the DPRK really conducted a nuclear test, it would be a considerable threat to the peace and stability in northeast Asia and the world.
The DPRK's official Korean Central News Agency reported Monday morning that the country has successfully conducted its first-ever underground nuclear test.
In the wake of the report, the Japanese government set up a task force at the prime minister's office to gather and analyze related information and to deal with the issue.
Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yasuhisa Shiozaki also said on Monday that if the nuclear test really happened, it would be a challenge to the Non-Proliferation Treaty and the DPRK-Japan Declaration signed in 2002.
Shiozaki added that Tokyo will lodge a serious protest and condemn the nuclear test once it has been confirmed.



xinhua