Russia is ready to take part in joint efforts to solve the crisis
surrounding the nuclear weapons test by the Democratic People's Republic of
Korea (DPRK), the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
Following a telephone conference between Russian, Chinese,
South Korean and US foreign ministers on Monday, the Russian Foreign Ministry
said the leaders had "discussed possible joint steps", including measures by the
UN Security Council, to respond to the DPRK's statement about its underground
nuclear tests."
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov stated the country's "readiness to
take part in joint efforts by interested sides with the aim of seeking a
peaceful, diplomatic settlement" to the situation surrounding the DPRK.
According to a report by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the
DPRK conducted an underground nuclear test on October 9.
The DPRK announced around a week earlier that it would carry out the
unprecedented atomic test, the first of its kind by the state, under conditions
in which safety was firmly guaranteed.