The United States reiterated on Friday that it will not hold one-to-one talks
with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) but is willing to have
discussions with it within the framework of the six-party talks.
"We're not going to negotiate with them (DPRK) one on one, but of course
we'll have discussions with them. Negotiations take place among the six
parties," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack told a briefing.
"You can have a bilateral discussion in the context of the six-party talks.
It doesn't mean you're negotiating bilaterally with North Korea, it means that
you're having a discussion, just the two parties, in the context of the
six-party talks," McCormack said.
The six-party talks, which involve the United States, the DPRK, China,
Russia, South Korea and Japan, have been stalled since September last year when
the last round of talks were held in Beijing.
The United States has urged the DPRK to return to the six-party talks
although the DPRK conducted a nuclear test earlier this
month.