Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso and visiting senior US diplomats agreed
yesterday that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) should abandon
all nuclear programs in line with UN resolutions and that UN and Japanese
sanctions would remain in place even after the meeting started.
The agreement was reached at a meeting between Nicholas Burns, who is US
Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs, Robert Joseph, the Undersecretary
of State for Arms Control and International Security, and Aso.
Japan and the United States are in agreement that Security Council Resolution
1718 "must be fully and effectively implemented" until the DPRK "meets all of
the demands of the Security Council," Joseph was quoted as saying by Kyodo News.
Aso said the two nations agreed that they would not accept the DPRK as "a
nuclear state" and that sanctions in line with the resolution as well as Japan's
own sanctions "would not be relaxed" just because the six-party talks were being
held.
The foreign minister said he would propose holding five-nation talks with his
counterparts from the United States, South Korea, China and Russia to discuss
the DPRK's nuclear program on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic
Cooperation forum summit in Vietnam's Hanoi next week.
The DPRK nuclear test early last month sparked U.N. condemnations and
sanctions. Japan had imposed its own sweeping sanctions before the nuclear test.
Pyongyang agreed on Nov. 1 to return the negotiation table on the premise
that the issue of lifting U.S. financial sanctions against the DPRK would be
discussed and settled within the framework of the six-party talks.
Joseph and Burns also met with Japanese Defense Agency chief Fumio Kyuma.
Joseph was also quoted as saying during the meeting that trilateral cooperation
between Australia, Japan, the United States is necessary in operational and
intelligence matters.