Chief negotiators of China, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea
(DPRK) and the United States met in Beijing yesterday to discuss resumption of
the six-party talks on the Korean Peninsula nuclear issue.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said China's chief negotiator,
Wu Dawei and his DPRK counterpart Kim Kye-gwan and U.S. counterpart Christopher
Hill had held bilateral and trilateral meetings.
The negotiators are believed to be gathering to set a date and make
preparations for the resumption of the talks. However, the exact date for the
resumption was still undecided, Jiang said.
The top negotiators of China, the DPRK, the United States, the Republic of
Korea (ROK) and Japan, were in Beijing, but there was no information on whether
Russia's senior negotiator would join them, said Jiang.
Wu, who is Vice Foreign Minister, on Monday met with negotiators of Japan and
the ROK.
A spokesman of the U.S. embassy in Beijing also confirmed Hill had met Wu and
his ROK counterpart Chun Yung Woo on Tuesday morning.
Hill told reporters at the Beijing Capital International Airport on his
arrival the U.S. side was "prepared to meet with the DPRK officials".
Last week, Hill came here and met with Wu Dawei. The two agreed to make joint
efforts to restart the talks.
The six-party talks, involving China, the DPRK, the United States, the ROK,
Russia and Japan, are aimed at finding a solution to the Korean Peninsula
nuclear issue.
However, the talks have been stalled since last November as the DPRK refused
to resume them because of U.S. sanctions.
Jiang called on all parties to take a "flexible and pragmatic approach" and
work toward the early resumption of the talks and make concerted efforts to
achieve progress.
"China will continuously consult with other parties to create favorable
conditions for the full implementation of the joint statement, "Jiang said.
The last round of talks ended with a chairman's statement, in which the
parties concerned agreed to resume the talks as soon as possible.