The South Korean chief negotiator for the six-party talks Chun Young-woo said
on Tuesday that the upcoming six-party talks should focus on the
denuclearization on the Korean Peninsula.
"We should avoid overloading the agenda of the six-party talks," Chun said in
a speech at a forum, urging Pyongyang to commit to last year's joint statement,
in which Pyongyang promised to abandon its nuclear program in return for
security guarantees and economic assistance.
The bilateral issues between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea(DPRK)
and related countries should be shunned at the six-party talks, Chun stressed.
The financial dispute between Pyongyang and Washington lasting more than a
year has proved to be one of the biggest obstacles to the disarmament talks,
Chun said.
The DPRK has demanded that the United States lift its sanction on DPRK's
accounts in a Macau-based bank, Banco Delta Asia (BDA), since last year. The
U.S. accused the DPRK of using the account in alleged counterfeiting, money
laundering, and other illicit activities.
"As the BDA has demonstrated, bringing thorny bilateral issues into the
six-party talks can hold back the denuclearization process," Chun said.
Chun also appealed that all parties concerned with the talks should make
efforts to build up trust, saying that the DPRK should demonstrate its genuine
commitment to denuclearization by taking bold, concrete steps to implement its
obligations under the joint statement reached on Sept. 19 last year.
The DPRK should seize a "historic opportunity" at the six-party talks, Chun
added.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry announced on Monday that the second phase of the
fifth round of the six-party talks on the Korean Peninsula nuclear issues will
be launched next Monday. The last session of the six-party talks, involving
China, the DPRK, South Korea, the United States, Russia and Japan was held in
November last year.