
Chun Yung Woo, who heads the delegation of the Republic
of Korea (ROK), speaks to the media upon his arrival at Capital International
Airport in Beijing yesterday, for the second phase of the fifth-round six-party
talks. -Xinhua
A delegation of the Republic of Korea (ROK) headed by Chun Yung Woo arrived
in the Chinese capital yesterday afternoon for the second phase of the
fifth-round six-party talks.
The ROK delegation is the second that has arrived in Beijing for the
multilateral talks set to resume on Monday. A delegation from the Democratic
People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) arrived in Beijing on Saturday morning.
Chun, the top ROK negotiator since February 20 of this year, said at the
Beijing International Airport that the six-party talks offered a very good
opportunity for all the involved parties to move the process towards a good
direction on the basis of the joint statement released on September 19 of 2005.
But whether the relevant parties could achieve this purpose depended on
whether they had a common political will, Chun added.
Chun's counterpart from the DPRK, Kim Kye-gwan, had a pessimistic outlook on
the upcoming talks. He said earlier in the morning that the DPRK was not
optimistic about the outlook of the upcoming round of talks and that the United
States should change its hostile policy towards the DPRK for a peaceful
co-existence policy.
Aiming at resolving the nuclear issue on the Korean Peninsula, the upcoming
six-party talks also involving China, the United States, Russia and Japan, will
resume in Beijing on Dec. 18 after a 13-month stalemate.
The Russian, U.S. and Japanese delegations are scheduled to arrive in Beijing
on Sunday.
Launched in 2003, the six-party talks have been held for five rounds.
However, the talks have remained on hold since the DPRK walked out of the
negotiations more than a year ago in response to U.S. sanctions.
Over the past 13 months, the parties concerned have been engaged in a flurry
of diplomatic activities in order to resume the talks.
At the end of October, the heads of delegations to the six-party talks from
China, the DPRK and the United States had an informal meeting in Beijing, at
which they agreed to restart the six-party talks.