Advanced Search
Business | Metro | Nation | World | Sports | Features | Specials | Delta Stories
 
 
Chinese negotiator urges six parties to decide action
19/12/2006 16:00

A Chinese negotiator for the ongoing six-party talks on the Korean nuclear issue today called on all sides to decide on a course of action to continue the resolution process.

"The first step for us is to map out the measures that help realize the joint statement, and to decide what moves we will take," said Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Wu Dawei.

He made the remarks during a meeting with the heads of delegations of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), the United States, the Republic of Korea (ROK), Japan and Russia.

He said realization of the joint statement was systematic and it would be rational to improve the process phase by phase.

Under the joint statement, the DPRK agreed to abandon its nuclear program in exchange for economic aid and security guarantee.

All parties reaffirmed their adherence to the stance in the joint statement issued during the fourth round of six-party talks in September last year.

The second phase of the fifth round of six-party talks opened Monday morning in Beijing, focusing on resolving the Korean nuclear issue.

A Chinese negotiator for the ongoing six-party talks on the Korean nuclear issue on Tuesday called on all sides to decide on a course of action to continue the resolution process.

"The first step for us is to map out the measures that help realize the joint statement, and to decide what moves we will take," said Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Wu Dawei.

He made the remarks during a meeting with the heads of delegations of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), the United States, the Republic of Korea (ROK), Japan and Russia.

He said realization of the joint statement was systematic and it would be rational to improve the process phase by phase.

Under the joint statement, the DPRK agreed to abandon its nuclear program in exchange for economic aid and security guarantee.

All parties reaffirmed their adherence to the stance in the joint statement issued during the fourth round of six-party talks in September last year.

The second phase of the fifth round of six-party talks opened Monday morning in Beijing, focusing on resolving the Korean nuclear issue.



Xinhua