Envoys to the six-party talks on Saturday struggled to decide on the first
steps toward denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula, but no agreement was reached.
The negotiations entered the third day on Saturday as chief envoys discussed
specifics on the initial steps required to implement a 2005 statement.
In the joint statement, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)
agreed to abandon its nuclear program in exchange for economic aid and security
guarantees.
Qin Gang, spokesman for the Chinese delegation, told a press conference on
Saturday evening that the consensus has been increasing and the differences were
narrowed among the six parties.
"The disagreement on some specific items won't affect the concerned parties
to reach the consensus", Qin noted
According to Qin, the discussion centered on the economic and energy
cooperation with the DPRK on Saturday and "the differences on the issue still
remain large on the issue", Qin said.
China still expects some positive outcomes from the talks despite
difficulties during the process of building consensus, Qin said.
Chief U.S. negotiator Christopher Hill said "it is basically one or two
items, probably best described as one item", urging the DPRK to take a further
step toward a "multilateral agreement."
"No resolution has been reached so far," Japanese negotiator Kenichiro Sasae
said at the end of Saturday's talks.
The situation is still "tough" at the six-party talks as the direction for a
solution cannot been seen on some questions, Sasae said.
The major stumbling block remained on the DPRK's denuclearization steps and
other parties' compensation measures.
The draft agreement was circulated to the delegates Thursday night, a
document that could see envoys take the first steps towards denuclearization of
the Korean Peninsula.
All parties have been working on revising the document on Saturday.
The revisions would cover the issues of how working groups operate, and how
to provide aid to the DPRK, provided consensus is reached, Russian
representative Alexander Losyukov said Saturday morning.
"The biggest obstacle to reaching a joint statement remains on the issue of
the economic aid to the DPRK," said Losyukov after he finished bilateral
consultation with other parties.
He said that no final figures on the economic aid to the DPRK were decided
yet, declining to reveal the DPRK's demand for the economic aid but stressing
all the other issues could be resolved under the six-party framework.
The delegation from China, host to the six-party talks since they began in
2003, held separate one-on-one consultations with all the other five parties on
Saturday in order to coordinate their differences, sources with the press center
of the six-party talks said.
There have been more than 10 one-on-one meetings and multilateral talks held
on Saturday, according to Chinese press center.
Reports said the draft agreement proposed halting within two months work at
nuclear sites in the DPRK, including the Yongbyon reactor, and supplying
Pyongyang with alternative energy sources.
Later Saturday, an official of Republic of Korea (ROK) said on condition of
anonymity that Saturday's talks were active and positive.
After a 48-day recess, the negotiators gathered again in Beijing on Thursday
to explore the first steps in implementing the 2005 statement.