The second phase of the sixth round of the six-party talks on the Korean
Peninsula nuclear issue opened in Beijing yesterday to decide the action plan in
the next stage, a Chinese envoy said.
"We have made positive and effective preparations for this session," said
Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Wu Dawei, head of the Chinese delegation for the
six-party talks.
A meeting of delegation heads had been held to review the implementation of
initial actions, and they had effective communication and coordination on the
action plan in the next stage, Wu said.
"In accordance with the consensus of the delegation heads meeting, five
working groups have conducted meetings in succession and discussed action plans
in their respective fields," Wu said.
All parties had maintained close consultation on the issues of common
concern, he said.
"With joint efforts of all parties, the six-party talks are developing along
the right track," Wu said.
He expected all parties to observe the principle of mutual benefit, seize the
main theme of the session, overcome existing difficulties and obstacles, and
push the talks smoothly to a new stage.
The negotiators also reviewed the progress reports presented by the five
working groups on the topics of denuclearization process on the Korean
Peninsula, economic and energy cooperation, the peace and security mechanism in
northeast Asia, normalization of US and Japan relations with the Democratic
People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Chinese delegation spokesman Qin Gang told
reporters at a news briefing.
The six parties agreed to, based on the principle of "action for action",
implement the 9.19 Joint Statement on the denuclearization process and a joint
document issued at the six-party talks on Feb. 13 in a "comprehensive",
"balanced" and "phase by phase" manner.
They agreed to provide the DPRK with 450,000 tons of heavy fuel oil and
energy equipment equal to 500,000 tons of heavy fuel oil, Qin said.
Qin said all parties voiced commitments to reinforcing mutual trust and
safeguarding the peace and security mechanism in northeast Asia.
The United States and the DPRK reaffirmed their promises made in the two
joint documents on the normalization of DPRK-US relations and Japan also
reiterated its willingness to normalize relations with the DPRK.
DPRK top envoy Kim Kye-gwan said the DPRK would continue efforts to improve
its relations with the United States and Japan, Qin added.
Negotiators signed the initial actions during the fifth round of the
Six-Party Talks on Feb. 13. The six countries -- the DPRK, the Republic of
Korea, China, the United States, Japan and Russia -- started negotiations in
August 2003.
The landmark Feb. 13 agreement says the DPRK must declare all nuclear
programs and disable all existing nuclear facilities, including
graphite-moderated reactors and its post-treatment plant, and other parties must
provide a total of 1 million tons of heavy fuel oil or equivalent aid the DPRK,
with the initial shipment of 50,000 tons.
The first phase of the sixth round of talks was held in March this year in
Beijing, which was concluded with a chairman's statement.