The six-party talks to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula saw progress in
discussing technical complex issues, but major differences still remained as the
talks entered the second day, negotiators said yesterday.
Delegation heads to the talks, which involve China, the United States, the
Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), the Republic of Korea (ROK),
Russia and Japan, held a meeting on Friday, discussing the plan to disable the
DPRK's nuclear facilities.
A series of bilateral meetings were also held on Friday, according to Qin
Gang, spokesman of the Chinese delegation.
U.S. envoy Christopher Hill said Friday evening that negotiators "have made a
lot of progress in discussing a lot of very technical complex issues."
"For me it is a very useful day because we were able to discuss some real
specifics" including the scope of the disablement, he said, adding the
negotiators were "into a stage of this process beyond anything that's been done
before."
He said a road map for steps in the second phase of DPRK's denuclearization
is necessary, and negotiators "were discussing real elements of what the road
map would look like."
However, he said "we might not go with a joint statement" since it might be
too time-consuming.
So far, no draft of an expected joint statement has been released while the
meeting that began on Thursday has only two days to go.
"It's quite possible that the talks can end on schedule with a chairman's
statement, but no draft for a joint statement has been distributed to us so
far," Russian chief negotiator Alexander Losyukov told reporters Friday
afternoon.
The solution of the issue will be a complicated process and it is not easy
for the parties involved to reach agreements, he said, adding he believes
finishing the denuclearization process within the year would be very hard.
Japanese chief negotiator Kenichiro Sasae said Friday afternoon that there
was still major differences between concerned parties.
The Japanese and DPRK delegations held a 45-minute bilateral meeting,
discussing the nuclear issue and bilateral relations.
"The two sides agreed to continue to hold a working group meeting (on the
Japan-DPRK relationship), to make efforts for resolving the pending issues with
common concern, including the history and the abduction issues," said Sasae.
ROK top negotiator Chun Yung-woo said all problems under discussion were
interwoven and it's hard to say which one was the focal point of Friday's talks.
According to Hill, the DPRK has given the other delegations a date when they
could first see the declaration of its nuclear programs, but he refused to
reveal the date.
Negotiators signed a landmark agreement on Feb. 13 when they finished the
fifth round of the six-party talks.
The DPRK must declare all nuclear programs and disable all existing nuclear
facilities, while the other parties must provide a total of 1 million tons of
heavy fuel oil or equivalent aid to the DPRK, according to the agreement.
The first phase of the sixth round of talks was held in March, which ended
with a chairman's statement.