Russia Says Chechen Warlord Leads School Siege
11/9/2004 16:50
Russia has said that Chechen rebel warlord Shamil Basayev directed the
hostage-taking raid on a school in southern Russia last week which left nearly
340 dead.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov made the remarks on
Friday in an interview with Al-Jazeera TV channel. But the minister did not
provide clear evidence for his statement.
Russian authorities have said
that Basayev was behind the school hostage-taking in the North Ossetia republic
and many other violent rebel attacks. Lavrov's remark was the latest definite
accusation against the notorious rebel leader.
The minister also
confirmed earlier official information that there were Arabs among the
hostage-takers.
A group of armed militants seized a secondary school on
September 1, holding some 1,200 people hostages. The crisis ended on the third
day as Russian troops launched an unplanned raid on the building after the
raiders began to shoot fleeing hostages. Over 330 hostages, half of them
children, were killed and over 700 others injured. Thirty-one hostage-takers
were also killed.
China Radio International
|