Advanced Search
Business | Metro | Nation | World | Sports | Features | Specials | Delta Stories
 
 
Saddam hospitalized due to hunger-strike
24/7/2006 10:22

Iraqi former leader Saddam Hussein has been hospitalized due to a days-long hunger-strike, a prosecutor said on Sunday.

Chief prosecutor Jaafar al-Moussawi told reporters that Saddam had been taken to hospital on Sunday due to his hunger-strike and that he was currently fed by a tube.

Moussawi also said that the former Iraqi president, who is on trial for charges against humanity, might not be able to attend the court session scheduled for Monday.

No further details were revealed.

But a U.S. military source said that Saddam was well enough to return to court on Monday.

Saddam, along with three of his seven co-accused including his half brother and once Iraqi intelligence chief Barzan Ibrahim, vice president Taha Yassin Ramadan and head of Saddam's former revolutionary court Awad al-Bandar, has started a hunger strike since July 7.

The move came in a protest against the Iraqi High Tribunal's procedures and lack of security for the defense lawyers as three of them have been slain since the trial of Saddam and his aides was launched last October.

The latest victim on the defense team was Saddam's deputy defense lawyer Khamis al-Obaidi, who was kidnapped and killed in Baghdad last month.

The defense team has blamed Shiite militiamen for Obaidi's death and boycotted the court while submitting a series of demands to the Iraqi High Tribunal for better security. But the court rejected the demands.

Saddam and his seven aides are facing charges against humanity including the killing of 148 Shiites in the northern village of Dujail after a failed assassination attempt on Saddam's life therein 1982.

The defense team has begun giving closing statements on behalf of the defendants.



Xinhua News